TEMPLE LODGE CLUB
The Temple Lodge building is a survivor of a time when the district had many such, and is believed to have been built around 1819. It is a typical late Georgian villa, two storeys with an attic in the main block and with a low wing to the north. The principal rooms are the double drawing room, with tall windows looking over the garden, and a further room with the same outlook through a large bay window. Beneath the house is a complex of vaulted cellar rooms and corridors, which has been suggested as evidence of an earlier building owned by the Knights Templar. Temple Lodge’s most famous occupant was the artist Sir Frank Brangwyn who lived there between 1899 and 1934.
Brangwyn, an associate of William Morris, excelled in many media from etching to vigorously coloured murals, for which he built the large studio at his home at Temple Lodge, at right angles to the house. At the time Brangwyn lived with his wife Lucy in Temple Lodge, the garden and the forecourt had many rare and exotic plants. Brangwyn is claimed having furnished the house by swapping drawings for pieces of furniture and plants for the garden.
In 1961, the house was taken over by The Christian Community which has restored the house since. Today the Temple Lodge Club bed and breakfast is run as a non-profit organization, funding the Christian Community Church, which Chapel is on the premises. Brangwyn’s old studio now serves as one of finest vegetarian restaurants in London, the Gate, that has operated there since 1989.